The weather is swarmer and bringing out the swarmers… Africanized Bees that is!
Wow we have had at least 12 calls in the last few days on bees swarming, so I thought a little bee information should be spread.
- Africanized Honeybees (AHB) aka “Killer Bees” look just like European Honeybees (EHB).
- (AHB) swarm frequently up to 10 times more often than (EHB).
- (AHB) more aggressive, respond in greater numbers, will pursue for 1/4 mile and possibly wait for you if you jump into water.
- (AHB) are probably not mean per se, they are just more prone or sensitive to noises or vibrations.
- (AHB) can remain agitated for over a hour and may attack any curious bystander or pet.
- The American Medical Association (AMA) says that 7 stings per pound can be lethal, but remember 1 sting can kill you if you are allergic.
- If you are hiking, (AHB) will bump you sometimes to let you know you may be close to their hive/colony.
- Just like any unforeseen pest, anything can be dangerous and deadly but so far only 5 human deaths (AZ) can be connected to (AHB).
- Check your home monthly for sign of pests and if you see bees call a Pest Management Professional – this IS NOT a Do It Yourself option!
- If you decide to DIY – the number to call is 911 or Poison Control is 1-800-222-1222